Connect with us

News

Bawumia blasts Mahama over Free SHS

Published

on

The Vice President of Ghana, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, has lambasted former President John Mahama for his recent doom prophesy about the future of the Free Senior High School (SHS) programme.

Mr. Mahama had recently complained about the high number of enrollment being recorded under the programme and Government’s plan to spend Ghc 2 billion on Senior High School education alone.

He had noted that parents would soon start losing interest in the Free SHS.

Speaking at the University of Cape Coast (UCC) in the Central Region on Thursday, April 11, 2019, Mr. Mahama stated “what we are doing with this huge influx into the secondary school system [due to the free SHS programme]…is going to affect the quality of the public schools.”

He went on to predict doom for the pro-poor programme, saying “and soon we are going to find a system where people lose faith in public schools and everybody will pay to take their wards to private secondary schools. That is the danger we are talking about.”

But responding to the former President’s comments, the Vice President described the National Democratic Congress (NDC) which Mr. Mahama heads as “hypercritical.”

Dr. Bawumia, speaking at a rally on Saturday, April 20, in Kwahu, Eastern Region, after embarking on a health walk organized by the National Youth Wing of the NPP, said “I hear somebody says that we are spending too much on free SHS, have you heard him? That we are spending too much on free SHS so we won’t have money to do other things’’.

He continued ” you (Mahama) who said SHS is not possible when we didn’t have free SHS under your government, you couldn’t pay teacher training allowance, you couldn’t pay nursing trainee allowance, and you couldn’t have NABCO and many other things.”

The Vice President explained that “I am from the North and I benefited from the free SHS and I think it is good for the people from the North and the entire country. There will be no room for hypocrisy on this matter.”

He added that ‘’but the NPP does not want to listen to the NDC who tell us free SHS is not good and saying other bad things with regards to the policies of the NPP’’.

He stated further that “we are going to follow the vision of Nana Addo Dankwah Akuffo Addo as we intended to improve the lives of Ghanaians. So we will deliver to reduce the suffering of this great nation, there is more to come”.

There has been a large intake of students since President Akufo-Addo’s administration started the program in September 2017.

The first year of the programme recorded an upsurge in enrollment, with about 400,000 students starting school in the 2017/18 academic year.

The large intake forced Government through the Education Ministry, to introduce the Double Track System which was intended to give many more students the opportunity to benefit from Free Senior High School education.

GHC1.682 billion had been earmarked for the implementation of the Free SHS programme in the 2019 budget.

This means that the number of enrollment is bound to further increase exponentially.

Source: dailyguidenetwork.com

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

News

Efya Schwarzenegger Ditch Out The Male Celebrities Who Were Also Snubbed By Cardi B

Published

on

By

Even though Cardi B is now in America facing legal actions, her name never leaves Ghana’s social media due to some few misunderstanding that came up.
Efya Schwarzenegger in a reply to a post has revealed the male celebrities who were also present at the Cardi B meet and greet incident.

This revelation came up after kumawood in a funny picture posted a movie about the meet and greet Saga.

Efya in the post revealed that, it’s not fair because there were also male celebrities present and not only female and that Ghanaians should stop trolling only the female celebrities who were present.

She made mention of Bola Ray, Sarkodie, Fred Nuamah, Jay Foley, Ameyaw Debra, Bullet and Patoranking to be the male celebrities who were also present

 

Continue Reading

News

Legalize prostitution – Fuse ODG to government

Published

on

By

 

Fuse ODG

The conversation of whether or not prostitution should be legalized is raring its head again in the media as UK-based Ghanaian artiste, Fuse ODG, is campaigning for the legalization of the ‘profession’ in Ghana.

The singer who sees nothing wrong with prostitution in an interview with Mamavi stressed that it is their bodies and they have the right to do whatever they want with it, including selling it for money if they so wish.

‘Yes. I would say yes. Legalize it.’, he told Mamavi on Joy FM.

He continued, ‘Legalize the work that these women are doing to protect them. I feel like they deserve protection. It is their body’.

He said Ghanaians should be open minded about sex and talk about it since they are having the sex anyway.

‘You are saying sex is not wrong. I feel like Ghanaians are so scared to talk about sex’, he said.

Fuse ODG admonished lawmakers to consider revisiting the subject of legalizing prostitution. He said after reading extensively about the subject, he believes it is not wrong and should be decriminalized.

Fuse is promoting his song ‘Osu’ which he features Toy Boi.

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Continue Reading

News

Trump invited to attend impeachment hearing or ‘stop complaining’

Published

on

By

President Donald Trump

Congress has invited US President Donald Trump to its first impeachment hearing on 4 December.

Jerrold Nadler, the Democratic chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said Mr Trump could either attend or “stop complaining about the process”.

If he does attend, the president would be able to question witnesses.

It would mark the next stage in the impeachment inquiry, which centres on a July phone call between Mr Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

In that call, President Trump asked Mr Zelensky to investigate Joe Biden, currently the front runner to be the Democratic candidate in next year’s presidential election, and his son Hunter Biden, who had previously worked for Ukrainian energy company Burisma.

The probe is looking into whether Mr Trump used the threat of withholding US military aid to pressure Ukraine into investigating the Bidens. The president has denied any wrongdoing and has called the inquiry a “witch hunt”.

Last week, the House Intelligence Committee wrapped up two weeks of public hearings, which followed several weeks of closed-door witness interviews.

Adam Schiff, the Democratic chairman of the Intelligence Committee, said the committees leading the probe – Intelligence, Oversight and Foreign Affairs – are now working on their report, which will be issued on 3 December.

What did Jerrold Nadler say?

Mr Nadler said in a statement that he had written to Mr Trump inviting him to the hearing next month.

“At base, the president has a choice to make,” Mr Nadler said. “He can take this opportunity to be represented in the impeachment hearings, or he can stop complaining about the process.

“I hope that he chooses to participate in the inquiry, directly or through counsel, as other presidents have done before him.”

In his letter to the president, Mr Nadler said the hearing would be an opportunity to discuss the historical and constitutional basis for impeachment.

“We will also discuss whether your alleged actions warrant the House’s exercising its authority to adopt articles of impeachment,” he added.

He has given Mr Trump until 18:00 EST (23:00 GMT) on 1 December to confirm whether or not he will be at the hearing, and if so, to let the committee know who his counsel will be.

What next with the impeachment inquiry?

The Judiciary Committee is expected to begin drafting articles of impeachment – which are the charges of wrongdoing against the president – in early December.

After a vote in the Democratic-controlled House, a trial would be held in the Republican-run Senate.

If Mr Trump was convicted by a two-thirds majority – an outcome deemed highly unlikely – he would become the first US president to be removed from office through impeachment.

The White House and some Republicans want the trial to be limited to two weeks.

Source: bbc.com

Continue Reading

Trending

Promote Your Song? Chat with us
Please accept our privacy policy first to start a conversation.